Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Crazy diver.

     This picture of Mr.Tik, the Thai Divemaster who works for Khao Lak Scuba Adventures remind me of a crazy diver I met many years ago.
   
     It's a sunny day and we are on the way to the dive site. I have 3 customers in my group. One of them is a good looking man who is working in the military when he is in his home country. We have a few pretty young girls on the boat, and of course Mr. Good Looking would like to chat with one of them. He chit chats with one of the open water students until I ask him to come with me for the briefing.

     Mr. Good Looking has an underwater camera and he asks me to take pictures of him under water. After the briefing we start to gear up and then dive. As soon as we are at the maximum depth we plan to go, Mr.Good Looking passes me his camera so I can take pictures of him, which I'm willing to do. But the way he poses in front of the camera makes me feel unhappy. He puts his fins on the reef and puts one of his hands on the hard coral. I go to him and pull him out of the reef, giving him a hand signal to tell him not to do that, and he says OK.

     After we dive for a short while we see the other group. It's my colleague with her group of open water students. One of the students is the pretty girl who Mr. Good Looking was talking with on the way to the dive site. Suddenly something unexpected happens. Mr. Good Looking swims quickly to her and pulls her mask off her face. Before the girl gets panicked, my colleague grabs the mask from Mr. Good Looking and puts it back on the girl's face quickly. I have a lot to say but my hand signal skill is not advanced enough to express all of it.

     On the boat, my colleague comes to me to discuss this and asks me not to take Mr. Good Looking to do the next dive and says we should ban him from our diving school. I call the manager and tell him what happened. And I go to tell Mr. Good Looking that I will not take him to dive second dive, he has to stay on the boat because what he did to the girl was dangerous. He knows that this dive is her first open water dive. If she gets panicked and something bad happens to her, many problems will follow. Mr. Good Looking said "We do this to each other all the time with my friends in the military." I'm very disappointed to hear this as he does not feel guilty or sorry at all. I told him to stay on the boat and I walk away.

     We are heading back after 2 dives. The pretty girl ignores Mr. Good Looking since after the first dive. He's sitting alone, looking sad. I can see that he has started to realise that he did something wrong. Mr.Good Looking never came back to the shop to see the manager and we have never heard anything from him since.
   
     Don't take other peoples' masks off their faces. If they want they can take it of themselves, like Mr.Tik is doing when he want, for fun.

   
  

No comments:

Post a Comment